Written by Ben Krombholz
When pandemic safety concerns shut down many community events in 2020, the weekly children’s story times offered by the Marathon County Public Library (MCPL) were no exception. But starting in the spring of 2022, several MCPL locations will once again break out their children’s books, songs, rhymes and learning games for families to enjoy… only outside!
From April through October, outdoor story times are planned at MCPL locations in Wausau, Hatley, Marathon City, Mosinee, Rothschild, Spencer, and Stratford. Each story time will feature a unique theme and plenty of opportunities for interactive learning, and a few summer story times will include craft-making activities! Children of all ages are welcome to attend with their families. The complete schedule is viewable online at www.mcpl.us/storytimes.
Because these story times will take place outdoors, if you plan to attend, please:
- Bring your own chairs, blankets, strollers, or other seating — whatever you need to be comfortable.
- Bring anything your family may need to be safe outside — e.g. weather appropriate clothing, sunscreen and water on warm days, bug spray, etc.
- Keep an eye on the weather forecast; story times will be canceled if there is severe weather or significant precipitation. Cancellations will be posted on the library’s website and social media.
- Be prepared to supervise your child throughout the event, as library staff will be fully occupied presenting in front of the group.
Additionally, while these story times will be held outside in an effort to lessen pandemic-related risks, please do not attend if any member of your family is sick.
Lastly, we ask that large groups — daycares, school groups, etc. — do not attend these story times. Instead, please contact us to schedule a special story time session.
Library staff are excited to resume regular story times at the library, and we hope to see you and your families soon! Also, don’t forget our virtual story times — especially if you’re unable to attend in person — online at www.mcpl.us/childrens/videos.
Library Services & IT Technician | Marathon County Public Library
Ben Krombholz is a member of the Library Services team and an IT Technician at the Marathon County Public Library, where he has worked since 2007 in a variety of roles, including web and graphic design, reference desk, and technology classes. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point with a degree in English Education, and from Northcentral Technical College with a degree in Web & Digital Media Development. In his free time, Ben enjoys working on indoor/outdoor projects with his family, reading, gardening, and raising chickens, ducks and pheasants. Email Ben Krombholz.
You might also like….
- Celebrate Literacy with Marathon County Public Library Programs and Resources
- Recently Re-opened Public Library in Wausau Has a New Look!
Please email our Editorial Board with your comments, suggestions, and article ideas.
And if you spot a typo or an inaccuracy, please contact us so we can fix it. Thanks!