Written by Jamie Polley
We have important things to celebrate this July:
- After a rainy June, summer FINALLY feels like it’s really here.
- July is National Parks and Recreation Month!
The Wausau/Marathon County Parks, Recreation, & Forestry Department would like you to celebrate this great month with us. Here are a few ideas . . .
Visit Us for Your Passes to Fun!
We sell boat launch passes, biking passes, and (in the winter) ski passes.
Get your discount tickets to outdoor attractions like Milwaukee County Zoo, Noah’s Ark Water Park in Wisconsin Dells, Six Flags Great America, and more from us at our office (212 River Dr., Suite #2, Wausau).
While you’re visiting our office, check out the Marathon County ATV map or pick up a copy of our latest Recreation Guide for adult and family ideas of outdoor activities, like:
- Bird Walks
- Supervised tree-climbing with certified arborists
- Disc golf
- Wausau Area Youth Football
- . . . and so much more!
Check out our latest Recreation Guide for even more “outdoor fun” ideas . . .
Tag Us on Facebook.
Show us how you’ve enjoyed our parks, facilities, and programs to have fun this July by tagging Wausau/Marathon County Parks, Recreation, & Forestry on Facebook (@wmcprf).
We’d love to see your:
- Camping pictures from the Dells of Eau Claire
- Swimming pictures from our city pools
- Pickleball pictures from Marathon Park
- Biking pictures from Nine-Mile County Forest
- Picnicking pictures from any park
- . . . and more!
There are so many fun things to do and see in Marathon County:
- Explore nature in one of our 10 County Forests totaling 30,195 acres.
- Gather with friends and family in one of our 17 County Parks.
- Play in one of our 30 City Parks — including the brand-new Riverlife Park, with play items, a challenge course, and adult fitness equipment that runs all along the Wisconsin River and is so cool you really have to see it to believe it!
No matter how you choose to celebrate National Parks and Recreation Month, we’ll help you celebrate. Let it be your excuse to get out and play right here in Marathon County!
And after July ends, be sure to save the date for these upcoming activities in August . . .
Drive-In Movie Night at Marathon Park (Aug. 15)
Come see Disney’s newest release of “Dumbo” on the big screen near the Big Kitchen at Marathon Park in Wausau on August 15, 2019.
Kids can enjoy a bounce house from 6:00–8:00 p.m. Movie starts at dusk. Watch from your car, or bring a blanket/chair. Popcorn will be for sale at Marathon Junction.
First-Ever Dog-Gone Pool Party at Memorial Pool (Aug. 25)
Join us on August 25, 2019, for the first-ever, dogs-in-the-pool Dog-Gone Pool Party at Memorial Pool in Wausau.
That’s right: Humans are on deck and the DOGS are in the pool! One dog per person. Owners must be 13 years and older.
Select either 12:45–2:45 p.m. or 3:00–5:00 p.m. $10 per person/per time slot. Preregistration is required; call 715 261-1550.
- Have proof of current vaccinations
- Be at least 10 pounds in body weight
- Be of a good temperament to participate. (Aggressive dogs will be required to leave the facility immediately.)
Dogs with loose stools after August 10, open wounds, or skin conditions are not allowed.
Brought to you by the Wausau/Marathon County Parks, Recreation, & Forestry Department and the Humane Society of Marathon County.
I hope to see you out and about in Marathon County this July — and BEYOND!
Director | Wausau / Marathon County Parks, Recreation, & Forestry Department
Jamie Polley is the Director of Parks, Recreation, & Forestry for the City of Wausau and Marathon County. She is a native of Marathon County and after living in Minnesota for 11 years, she made her way back home in 2018. Jamie is excited to lead this unique City/County department forward and tell the story of what the Parks, Recreation, & Forestry Department is and does so that all citizens know of the opportunities available to them. Jamie has a bachelor’s degree in Exercise and Sports Science and a master’s degree in Sports Management. Outside of work, Jamie is an avid runner and loves to spend time with her family enjoying the outdoors. Email Jamie Polley.
You might also like…
- Brand-New “Riverlife Park” in Wausau Opening Soon!
- Gaining Ground Gardens :: Growing Inmate Skills Through Horticulture Therapy
- Cultivating Connections Through Botanical Art
Please email our Editorial Board with your comments, suggestions, and article ideas.
And if you spot a typo or an inaccuracy, please contact us so we can fix it. Thanks!