Written by Karyn Powers
Sign your family up to become more active, learn healthier lifestyle tips, and HAVE FUN as a family — all while earning prizes along the way!
Your family’s challenge?
Have each team member in your family get at least 1 hour of active recreation each day between April 15 and June 15, 2019. Log 60 hours & you WIN the challenge!
An entry fee of just $25 per family allows you to partake in the community-wide Active Family Challenge and attend a celebratory Pool Party at the end of the 10 weeks.
Earn incentives as you reach 15, 20, 45, and 60 hours of activity.
You’ll also get the chance to enter RAFFLES based on the amount of hours your team logs.
How does the challenge work?
- Register your family with a fun team name between March 15 and April 20, 2019. Families can register with a credit card over the phone by calling the Park Office at 715-261-1550 or by stopping in at the Parks, Recreation, & Forestry offices (212 River Dr., Suite #2, Wausau) Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- From April 15 to June 15, write down each family member’s “activity plan” for the next 7 days. (Writing it down helps keep your team members accountable whether they actually did the activity as planned.)
- Get active with some form of approved activity. (See lists below).
- Divide the total number of your family’s active hours each week by the number of people on your team and log your weekly family average (not total hours) to the Active Family Challenge group Facebook page (which you’ll be invited to upon registration) or submit your hours to Recreation Superintendent Karyn Powers at Powers@co.marathon.wi.us or 715-261-1559. (She will log your hours into the Facebook page for you if you’re not on Facebook.)
The 2019 Active Family Challenge is brought to you by the Wausau & Marathon County Parks, Recreation, & Forestry Department in partnership with:
- Marshfield Clinic Health System
- Security Health Plan
Financial aid is available upon request.
Mark your calendar for March 15
to register YOUR family for our 2019 Active Family Challenge!
And keep an eye out for our Spring / Summer Recreation Guide COMING SOON!
Recreation Superintendent | Wausau / Marathon County Parks, Recreation, & Forestry Department
Karyn Powers joined the Parks, Recreation, and Forestry Department in 1991. Prior to settling in Marathon County, she spent 5 years working for the Department of Defense in Morale, Welfare, and Recreation Services for the U.S. Navy in Iceland and the U.S. Army in South Korea. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Park and Recreation Administration and a master’s degree in Education. In addition to being the city/county Recreation Superintendent, she is a published poet and author. Karyn fell in love with Marathon County as a college senior when she interned here in 1979, then traveled halfway around the world to get back here as soon as was possible. Email Karyn Powers.
You might also like…
- Try Nighttime Cross-Country Skiing & Snowshoeing on the Lighted Trails at Marathon County’s Nine-Mile Forest
- 3 Tips to Help Your New Year’s Resolutions STICK This Year
- Marathon County Officials & Staff Go on a County Parks Tour
Please email our Editorial Board with your comments, suggestions, and article ideas.
And if you spot a typo or an inaccuracy, please contact us so we can fix it. Thanks!