Written by Julie Bollmann
The University of Wisconsin–Marathon County (UWMC) offers many opportunities to explore, enrich, and escape!
We offer classes across the spectrum from:
- YOUTH (College for Kids, Wizarding Academy, and Girl Power Camp) to
- ENRICHMENT CLASSES for all ages (Ballroom Dance, Glass Blowing, and Photography) to
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT & TRAINING opportunities (such as online courses, business/finance certificates, and customizable workshops) to
- SEGMENTS GEARED TO CERTAIN AGE CATEGORIES (for example, Good Ideas — our upcoming conference for lifelong learners age 50 & over).
In its 33rd year, Good Ideas is an enriching 3-day “university experience” for adults age 50 and over offered January 9 – 11, 2018, on the UWMC Campus.
Each unique day starts with a keynote speaker lecturing on current and relevant topics. This year features keynotes:
- Eric Lohr, Professor and Chair of the History Department at American University — “Russia, 1917 – 2017, Reflections on a Turbulent Century”
- Thomas Zinnen, Professor at UW–Madison — “Changing Colors in the Spectrum of Biotechnology & Food”
- Tom Lochner, Executive Director for the Wisconsin State Cranberry Growers Association – “The Cranberry Industry in Wisconsin”
After each opening speaker, students will participate in a morning and afternoon university lecture. Each day, the instructors — many of whom are UW College professors — will instruct the registrants and build upon the information they learn over the course of 3 days.
Learners have a broad selection of topics during the morning sessions from which to choose, whether it’s:
- Getting an update on human evolution,
- Exploring work and artist techniques similar to those of Georgia O’Keefe,
- Taking a crash course in poetry, or
- Understanding sleep deprivation and health.
Students break between morning and afternoon sessions to enjoy a delicious soup-and-sandwich buffet catered by CJ’s Catering of Wausau.
In the afternoon, students can choose to:
- Study the remarkable life of Abraham Lincoln;
- Understand the genetics in food production, medicine, and beyond;
- Explore American civil religion; or
- Learn about the composer Claude Bolling.
There is truly something for everyone!
EXPAND your knowledge…
EXPLORE something new…
ESCAPE the dreary days of January…
Come inside to fellowship, warmth, and learning at UWMC!
For questions or for help with the registration process, contact the Office of Continuing Education at 715-261-6294.
* * *
Upcoming Project Management Certificate & Supervisory Academy Offered at UW–Marathon County in January 2018
Did you know that UW–Marathon County offers a wide array of professional development and training opportunities?
We can take you to the next level with our NEW business/finance and professional classes in categories like:
- Master Project Management & Human Resource Project Manager (Certificate offered January 2018!)
- Supervisory Management (Academy offered January 2018!)
- Social Media Marketing
- Diversity & Inter-generational Training
- Data Analysis
- Creative Problem Solving
- Computer Skills for the Workplace
- …and more!
In January 2018, UW Colleges is collaborating with the Project Management Resource Group to offer a Master Project Management & Human Resource Project Manager Certification. This course provides a variety of project management principles and best practices to help learners enhance their existing skill and experience. This class will run January 23–26, 2018, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For more information, view our certification brochure.
Join us at UWMC for our 6-session Supervisory Management Academy, beginning January 19, 2018. This program gives current (and potential) supervisors the tools and knowledge they need to succeed in managing their employees. Learn from experts in the field in a group atmosphere with peer learning, intense discussion, and hands-on projects.
For more information, view our academy brochure.
Visit our Professional Development page for details on these upcoming UWMC programs — as well as other new offerings, such as our Mobile Marketing Certificate and course on Intercultural Communication.
Questions? Feel free to contact Director of Continuing Education Anne Mathson at 715-261-6294.
Program Specialist | University of Wisconsin–Marathon County | Continuing Education Office
Julie Bollmann has served as the Program Specialist at the University of Wisconsin Marathon County’s Office of Continuing Education since 2016. Her background had previously included out-of-school programming with the Wausau School District, at which time she coordinated very closely with the Department of Public Instruction on its after-school programs. She is passionate about providing educational opportunities for all members of the Wausau community — whether it’s a College for Kids class or a professional development seminar. She excels in collaborating with Wausau organizations to create, promote, and deliver fulfilling educational and experiential opportunities. In her free time, Julie enjoys outdoor activities in Central Wisconsin, particularly snow-shoeing at Rib Mountain and kayaking on the Rib River and other area waters. Email Julie Bollmann.
You might also like…
- Student Success Is the Focus in the Transition to Align Two UW Colleges with UW–Stevens Point
- Marathon County Uniform Addressing Update
- School of Second Chances :: Marathon County Jail & NTC Partnership Changes Lives, Builds Workforce
Please email our Editorial Board with your comments, suggestions, and article ideas.
And if you spot a typo or an inaccuracy, please contact us so we can fix it. Thanks!